Introduction


Hello Everybody, Glad to See You! 

(a little children's librarian joke) 

Welcome to my blog! I'm glad you found it alright. If you have never heard the song Glad to See You by Peter and Ellen Allard, I highly recommend you check it out. This is a song I like to use when welcoming people into a program or event. It includes actions like clapping your hands, stomping your feet, shaking your hips, nodding your head, and blinking your eyes with a whole lot of smiles and laughs in-between.

About Me

I am currently working towards my Masters in Library and Information Science from Dominican University. I am about two-thirds done with my masters program. Woo-Hoo! On top of being a student I work at the 95th Street branch of the Naperville Public Library as the Children's Services Supervisor. I have a team of 16 AMAZING team members. I love working for the library because it allows me to be creative, teach others, make partnerships with local schools and businesses, and make changes within my community. I've been with Naperville Public Library for a little over 5 years. Before I worked at the library, I was an elementary school teacher. I paid my dues as a substitute then was able to teach one year in kindergarten, 1st grade and 5th grade before switch careers. I still have great ties to the school districts in my area providing outreaches for Family Reading Nights or STEM Fairs. I enjoy working with children and I, myself, am a big child at heart.

Personal Interests

In my free time, which is fair and few in-between recently, I like to get outside and enjoy nature, listen to music and attend concerts, and get together with friends. I am very social in real life and enjoy being around others. I like to share experiences and tell stories. I constantly have wanderlust and want to be travelling. I am always curious, what types of vacations do others enjoy? I find that people are usually pro-tropical vacations or totally the opposite and want to be somewhere land locked. I'd love to hear your opinion in the comments below!


New to Blogging and Personal Social Media Perspective

I am new to blogging. That being said please be patient with me as I progress on my blogging journey! Tips and tricks in the comments are welcomed, but please be mindful that I am still learning. Constructive feedback is helpful but hurtful is not.

Honestly, I'm not that big into social media. I don't have a claim to fame but do enjoy looking at silly things that make me smile and being connected with my family and friends. You could say, I'm not in it for the likes.

The social media accounts I do keep are really just for me. I use Facebook, SnapChat, and Pinterest on a regular basis. While Teams is not social media, it does bring me back to AOL Instant Messenger days which I think qualifies an honorable mention here for how much I use it at work. 

Social media to me is about connection. It is about being around a group of people who have similar interests to you, can share ideas with you, or to find support when you're having a bad day. I look forward to seeing where this journey takes me.

Best,
Jenny

Photo credit: author, Jenny Marose's social media
Main blog photo credit: PickPik

Comments

  1. Great to meet you, Jenny! Social media plays a different role for people at different times in their life and career. There is nothing wrong with your social media being "just for you." I have a few of these accounts as well. Looking forward to learning with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, I agree with you that social media ebbs and flows with when we can utilize it intentionally throughout our personal life and career. I have had waves in which I checked my social media accounts daily but at this current stage, I get to it when I get to it. It is a little reprieve for me to escape into a collection of content I personally enjoy or to be inspired for work. I look forward to learning more about blogging and social media.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny! It's so nice to meet you! You're starting off really strong for someone who isn't as well versed in social media! Also hello to my fellow MLIS friend! It's always so admirable to see teachers - as a mom of a 4 and 16 year old, I'm so amazed at your guys' patience. To be fair though, my child just takes after me, so I can only blame myself for the rambunctious and head strong personality. I'm so excited to see your journey here and can't wait to learn from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanako! I appreciate that. This is all very new to me. I'm glad to meet a fellow MLIS friend! You hit the nail on the head with patience it is a HUGE part of my every day working with children. I enjoy letting them learn and helping them when they need it. While some people like to just jump in and offer a solution with teaching and working at the library, some times it is best just to sit back and let the child explore. I'm sure you can relate to this with your experiences being a mother. I look forward to learning with you this Spring!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny! I loved reading your blog post. Blogging might just be your thing! I enjoyed getting to know about your job at the Naperville Public Library. I think it is great how you love working with others in your community and still have ties with the school districts. Family Reading Night is always a great event at my school and the kids and families enjoy coming. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to getting to know more about you in this course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mayci, I'm so happy you enjoyed it and thank you for the kind words! I am super new to blogging and still have a lot to learn. My current job is amazing and I feel so lucky to have a job that I actually like to go to everyday. I have definitely worked at places where this was not the case.

      Family Reading Nights are so fun to partner on! The local school district by us has recently been awarded a few grants to help them buy books for their kids and classrooms that we have been helping them purchase. We coordinate with them, order books within a certain budget, and then plan a Family Reading Night to give each child who comes a book to keep. Then the rest of the books are divided for the teachers to use in their classrooms. While these events are mostly fun activities, we have been able to offer off-site library card sign up for families in our community and provide information for free library programs and services they have access to. I look forward to learning with you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts